Friday, April 25, 2008

April 17th, 2008

April 17th, 2008 will be a day that I will always remember. That is the day my mother was officially diagnosed with breast cancer. She was extremely fortunate to find it very early on and so there is a very good percentage that she will get through this ordeal completely cured.

"Amen and Glory!" as Ryan says at the end of his prayers.

Amen and Glory indeed. I have much to be thankful for these days.

I have always been a person that avoids the thought of not having my parents around. I watched my grandmother die of colon cancer...and until the last week I kept telling myself that she would live for another six to twelve months. I knew she was terminal, but my mind had just decided it wasn't anywhere in the near future. Then one day I went to visit and there was no denying she was near the end.

I miss my grandparents very much, but I know they are much happier now because at the end their bodies couldn't let them do the things they wanted to do with their time. And I know that they look out for our family on a daily basis. And I'm sure my grandfather is telling my children to EAT SLOW and WALK SLOW and TEASE YOUR MOM. How else would a five-year-old and a two-year-old be able to do the things they do???

As much as I miss my grandparents, I cannot fathom losing my parents or Tracy's parents. I understand that eventually someday I will have to face this, and it will be a good thing as they will be with other loved ones and our Father - but selfishly I will miss them beyond measure.

So, even though it sounds like a happy ending, there is still a long road ahead, and I would ask everyone to pray for my mom, her doctors, and our family as we go down it together. And mostly pray for me to be strong for my mom. She has been there for me more times than I can count, and I'm sure many times I am not even aware of - so I hope this time I am there for her in the many ways she may need me.

And be ready for me to bug you to start walking for the cure!

1 comment:

Debbie Doerfler said...

Denise -

I am SO very sorry to hear about your mom - PLEASE, PLEASE let her know I will be praying for her. Please continue to keep me updated... and as we've been saying for years... Let's get together soon! Miss you!

Love Deb