Friday, October 10, 2008

The Pumpkin Barn

Do you see all these pumpkins, Mom?

What is this stuff poking my bottom?

Pumpkin Barn, 2008

One of my favorite things about October is the Pumpkin Barn. My mom has a friend that runs a fruit and vegetable stand out of one of her sheds on 13th Street, right on the edge of Canby. Every October they fill the end with straw and pumpkins. It is a great place to go pick out our pumpkins: one - because the prices are great, (we got four small pumpkins, including one white pumpkin, and three very large pumpkins for carving for only $7.00), and two - because it is dry and usually not busy so I can make my family pose for picture after picture after picture.

One year we waited until the third week of October to get our pumpkins. We arrived at the Pumpkin Barn only to find it was closed for the season. Apparently Bettie closes down as soon as all the pumpkins are sold. Ryan and I were devastated...and we ended up paying $12.00 for three pumpkins at some other place over by my parents house. Needless to say we now get our pumpkins the first weekend in October no matter what.

Karis was initiated this year and her favorite part was the straw (as was her brothers' when they were less than a year old at the Pumpkin Barn). Technically this is Karis' second year at the Pumpkin Barn as I was VERY pregnant with her this time last year. How time flies!

No comments: